The optimal operating time of a water softener depends on several factors. In particular, a water softener requires regular maintenance. Its installation can be accompanied by a maintenance contract so that a technician comes to check once a year that your device is still operational. But the lifespan of your softener also depends on the quality of the treated water, the installation of an efficient pre-filter, or the quality of manufacture of the equipment, including its head which is the heart of the system.
Regular maintenance, an essential asset for the life of your softener
Maintaining your softener is simple and inexpensive. It is strongly recommended to carry out a complete maintenance every year. We advise you to have it carried out by a water treatment specialist, but you can do some checks yourself.
Regular maintenance is necessary for the proper functioning of your softener and it considerably increases its longevity. It also makes it possible to guard against any health risk and therefore to avoid inconvenience.
Here are the points to check:
- Watch the salt level , which is essential for resin regeneration. On average, the salt consumption for a household of 4 people is 100 kg per year. This consumption may vary depending on the household water consumption and the lime content of the water.
Every 6 to 12 months
- Test the hardness of the water at the inlet to the softener. If the variation is greater than 10%, the device settings must be reviewed.
- Check the filter cartridge : when it is ocher in color, it means that it is worn. It must then be changed.
Once a year
- Disinfect the softener in order to avoid any proliferation of bacteria.
Every 10 to 12 years
- Renew the resin beads . They are caused to rub against each other during withdrawals of water, and in particular during regenerations. This causes mechanical wear and a decrease in their diameter over the years.
The principle of ion exchange (capture of calcium ions and release of sodium ions) occurs on the surface of each of these beads. If the diameter and the surface of the balls decrease, the ionic exchange will be less important.
All of this has an impact on the performance of your softener. Over time, its treatment capacity may decrease, for example from 2000 to 1500 liters of freshwater between each regeneration.
The solution is then to recharge. Be careful, however, it must comply with the legislation in force and have obtained a certificate of sanitary conformity (ACS).
Choose a quality softener adapted to your home
To ensure certain longevity for your water softener, it is important that it is suitable for the environment in which you live. Make sure that its resin volume matches the hardness of your water and the number of people living in the house. Get professional advice when choosing your water softener!
In addition, it is advisable to choose a good quality material such as Fleck, Permo, or Kinetico water softeners . This makes it possible to guard against possible changes of defective parts. Today there are ultra-sophisticated devices on the market capable of withstanding years of intensive use without ever losing efficiency.
At Aqua-direct, we offer you softeners with an excellent quality/price ratio. Our without electricity softeners NOELEC and KINETICO offer an economical and environmentally friendly solution. They offer the advantage of consuming less water, consuming less salt, and no electricity consumption. In addition to these strengths, the lifespan of NOELEC softeners is longer than most conventional softeners due to the total tightness of their heads.
Our softeners are also delivered with equipment such as a bypass or a meter to facilitate maintenance.
Also read: Apple tech reviews